According to the historian Colucci, Massignano (Massa Aniana), it was a suburb of the ancient Roman city of Cupra. It was built as a free municipality after the year one thousand and it was independent until sec. XIII. In 1334 it was attacked by Rinaldo from Monteverde, lord of Fermo, and was consistently among Fermo and Ascoli Piceno. Since sec. XVI until XVIII, the town was part of the Papal States; parentheses after the Napoleonic, returned there in 1816, up to and Italy. One of the main economic activities, along with agriculture, has been in centuries past, the production of earthenware, "cocce“ and ceramics.